Saturday 10 September 2011

Markets In Paris...where food shopping is never JUST food shopping.

© Copyright Millie Brown 2011
As anyone who has spent any amount of time in Paris knows, there are so many incredible experiences to be had, and I made food shopping one of mine.  However, its never just food shopping, it's a glimpse into Parisian life.


Every sunday morning when I was living in the Marais, I would head out with my trolley to the outdoor market at the Bastille on Boulevard Richard Lenoir. The choice of produce at this market is endless and while the quality varies from stall to stall most of it is very good. Some of the produce available includes, all kinds of seafood, every cheese imaginable and more, mushrooms you never knew existed and a wonderful selection of meats, the list goes on.  


You don't have to have a kitchen or be living in Paris to enjoy this market, if you love a picnic, take a basket and fill it with baguettes, cheese, wine and a roast chicken and enjoy it on the magnificent lawns of the Place des Vosges in the Marais, only a five minute walk away.


Tip: Go early, before 9 am so you can enjoy the atmosphere without the crowds (Thursdays and Sundays) Boulevard Richard Lenoir

Covered food market Enfants Rouges

A little bit further along in the 3rd is the oldest covered market in Paris, Enfants Rouges, look up the interesting history of this market. I love it because its not too big, although it can get very busy especially on weekends. Sit on a communal bench and enjoy the many different foods that are available to eat here. 39 rue Bretagne (Tuesdays to Sundays)

I love pedestrian market streets, and here are a couple that I always love to visit.

Rue Cler in the 7th arrondisement, is a very parisian experience, and here you can shop with the locals for anything fresh your heart desires, pastries, chocolates, baguettes, cheese, fish, pasta, fruit and vegetables, and again, even if you don't have a fridge to fill come here anyway and enjoy the atmosphere.  For a good coffee and an even better croissant on rue Cler I love the café Le Petit Cler.

© Copyright Millie Brown 2011
It's not just food on rue Cler, here is the local bookshop opposite Tribeca café


© Copyright Millie Brown 2011


Rue Montorgueil

Until five years ago I had never visited this street and it was not until I rented an apartment here that I first discovered it.  I fell in love with rue Montorgueil and the area from the moment I stepped out from the taxi and made my first Parisian 'home' in a very sweet but VERY small studio apartment here.

In my opinion it is definitely one of the most vibrant and lively streets in Paris, and like rue Cler the food shopping is wonderful. Even after I had moved out of the area to another I still returned regularly for the ambience, the fruit and veg at Palais du Fruitand quite naturally to grab a pastry or two at Patisserie Stohrer (apparently this is the oldest patisserie in Paris, and dates back to 1725). The window display alone is a visual treat www.stohrer.fr

Tip: Don't go on a Monday as most of the food specialty stores are closed

© Copyright Millie Brown 2011
Patisserie Stohrer on rue Montorgueil

© Copyright Millie Brown 2011
Taken from my apartment looking down onto the lively rue Montorgueil


One other market street I love to visit;

rue des Martyrs in the 9th. Love, love, love this street. Visit it on your way up to Montmartre.

Other Open Air Markets that I enjoy

Marché Saxe -Breteuil in Avenue de Ségur in the 7th (Thursdays and Saturdays)
Marché d'Aligre, rue d'Aligre in the 12th (and not far from the Bastille market - Tuesdays to Sundays)

Dont miss

La Grand Epicerie (part of Le Bon Marché store in the 7th)
You don't have to buy anything to appreciate the glory of this store, it is a feast for the eyes (and the taste buds if you so choose) www.lagrandeepicerie.fr

© Copyright Millie Brown 2011

© copyright Millie Brown 2011

Enjoy every moment, I know I always do!


Millie x
These photos are copyright, please do not download, thank you :-)

3 comments:

  1. Makes me keen to try them all on my next visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend some time in Paris! Great job Millie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful insights and stunning photography.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...